Thursday, September 26, to Sunday, September 29, 2019 — Berlin (Germany)
Uta Excited to Attend This Year’s Much Anticipated Berlin Marathon
A top-class duel is building for the 2019 BMW BERLIN MARATHON in the women’s field. Gladys Cherono, both title and course record holder, will face her fellow Kenyan Vivian Cheruiyot, who won the London Marathon in 2018. Both women have improved their personal bests to sub 2:19. But the speedy Ethiopian, Mare Dibaba, who has twice run under 2:20 and took the bronze medal in the 2016 Olympic Marathon in Rio, could make it a three way see-saw race.
And Uta will be there to cheer on the elites and the tens of thousands of runners who have registered for this year’s marathon. She will run part of the course with the ‘RTL-Spendenmarathon’, the charity relay team in support of underprivileged children. Organizers believe that more women will run in this year’s marathon than any previous year.
“There will be so much energy in the air,” said Uta. “The children’s events, the runners from all over the world, and now the women’s marathon race is shaping up to be such a beloved and fantastic event.”
Uta will be involved in many of the weekend activities in her increasing role as ambassador and running expert for SCC Events, the governing body for the marathon. You can read her advice to runners — from beginners to elite — on the Berlin Marathon’s Website under Uta’s Running Columns. She provides training tips that cover the weeks leading up to the marathon, and also advice on how to stay injury free.
Below you can find some of the events she will attend.We will update her additional marathon week appearances as more information is available.
Uta’s Appearances in Berlin:
- More Uta appearances will be announced closer to the events.
- On Saturday, September 28, the Breakfast Run, a fun 6K starts at 9:30 am in front of Berlin’s beautiful Charlottenburg castle (Spandauer Damm 10-22, 14059 Berlin) and takes the participants to the finish line at the Olympic Stadium — Olympischer Platz 3, 14053 Berlin.
- On Saturday, September 28, Uta will be at her favorite part of Marathon Weekend! She will join her friend Fridolin “Frido” Flink, the mascot of the Berlin Marathon, at the Kids painting competition at the Messe BERLIN VITAL. Location: former Airport Tempelhof, Platz der Luftbrücke 5, 12101 Berlin.
- She will cheer on school kids aged 10 and older at their 4.2195K mini Marathon, starting at 3:10 pm on Saturday.
- On Sunday, September 29, Marathon Day, Uta will be at the starting line in the morning and later help runners celebrate crossing the finish line. Both the start and finish are on the boulevard Straße des 17. Juni (between the Brandenburg Gate and “Kleiner Stern“) — 10785 Berlin. Have a great run!
Marathon Course Map:
For more information please visit www.BMW-Berlin-Marathon.com. The race organizers urge you to use public transportation to attend the event, since no parking will be available. Also, your bib number will give you free access to some public transportation this year.
- Start of the 46th BWW Berlin Marathon on September 29:
- 8:50 am Hand Cyclists (Elites)
- 8:56 am Wheelchair Competitors
- 8:59 am Hand Cyclists
- 9:15 am Runners (in four waves)
The marathon will start and finish on the boulevard Straße des 17. Juni (between the Brandenburg Gate and “Kleiner Stern“) — 10785 Berlin.